The ramblings and musings of author and musician Geoffrey Young Haney.
Much more coherent and loveable fare from his wife, Michelle.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentine's Day, The Joys of Gift Registry, and Back to Work

Valentine's Day. I love it and I hate it all at the same time. Holiday's that seem to be invented by Hallmark such as this, along with Sweetest Day just don't seem to be all that genuine. Shouldn't everyday be "like" Valentine's Day? Anyway ... moving on.

Geoff and I had an extremely random Valentine's Day. We started the day very early because he was scheduled to play in the band that morning at church, and I decided to tag along. Being up at 6 a.m. on a Sunday, not fun ... but wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either. I spent my time reading and socializing with fellow members before church. It made me remember why I love Engedi so much. The service was amazing and really hit home for both Geoff and I. Our Pastor, Brian was talking about guidance and boy, do we need some of that. Doesn't everyone? It was awesome.

After church we were going to head to Target to begin our gift registry, but decided that we were WAY too tired for that. We ended up going home for a little while, but convinced ourselves that we needed to get the registry done! We ventured out to run a few errands, starting with Best Buy where Geoff used his gift card. Then it was Target. We were extremely disappointed with the Target in Jenison. They seriously had nothing for babies there, it was just a bad idea. However, the good thing was that it REALLY opened our eyes to the fact that we have NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE DOING! lol. Becoming a parent already has had its hardships, but man o man, are we in for a treat. :D So, today we'll be heading to a different Target that will hopefully have a better selection of what we need.

After registering at Target, we headed over to Meijer to return pop bottles. Oh yeah, we're cool like that. The plan was to go home and have a Harry Potter Movie Marathon ... however, neither of us felt like doing that. Especially me, who's been cooped up in the apartment for 2 weeks. We went over to the mall, and let me tell you ... it was CRAZY. I kept thinking to myself, "who goes to the mall on Valentine's Day?! ... oh yeah, we're here too. Dang it!" It was actually kind of pleasant to window shop. We spent the majority of our time in Barnes and Noble (we both are obsessed with books and that store especially). We checked out a few other stores along with Helzberg to drop off Geoff's wedding band. It really needed to be replated, and it takes two weeks. Geoff was so sad to see it go, he's so sweet. I think the best part of our mall trip was sharing a blizzard from Dairy Queen. A pregnant women's DREAM! :D Oh, we also got Snackers from Olga's. If you haven't had Snackers, you haven't lived and shame on you! They're amazing! Finally, we settled in at home for a very relaxing night, and we still ended up watching the first Harry Potter. We're such nerds.

I suppose the moral of the story with our randomness is that just becuase it was Valentine's Day, and you're supposed to spend lots of money on your love, get flowers, cards, chocolates etc. clearly doesn't mean we had to in order to have a good time. Everyday truly is like Valentine's Day with Geoff. He treats me like a Queen, most if not all days.

Alright, enough mushy stuff. Work.

I've been on workers comp for two weeks now, and today was my first day back. No lie, it feels good. I never thought I'd say that, but I truly missed the "busyness." The drama I could do without, but it's almost like a family when you work at a school. You can't have the good without the bad. :D However, on the not so positive side, workers comp has had it's ups and downs as well. They payed for a massage for me last week, and I found out that they'd pay for more, so that's awesome! However, we found out how much we'll be getting monetary wise ... and it's not even close to what I make in two weeks. Therefore, I have no idea what we're going to do. Once again, another test for us to put our full faith in God and rely on Him for guidance. Whew.

Once again, a big shout out to those of you who have been so supportive with love and prayers. This journey called life, it's not easy, but you all make it better and more enjoyable. Love you all!

2 comments:

Geoff said...

Great post baby!!!

JB said...

Snackers, Dairy Queen, and Harry Potter? Sounds like a great Valentine's Day to me! :)