The ramblings and musings of author and musician Geoffrey Young Haney.
Much more coherent and loveable fare from his wife, Michelle.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Moving: The Story of Our Lives...

Since Geoff and I have been together, we've seen our fair share of "homes." When we first got together we lived in an apartment with two other room mates, then I lived in a separate place for a while. Then we got an apartment together about 3 blocks away from our previous apartment. We were there for just over a year, but realized we missed home. Therefore, we headed back to our hometown, Zeeland. We only stayed there for about 6 months because we realized how much money we were spending on gas with our commutes for our jobs, and it was ridiculous. We currently reside in Grandville, the perfect in between town! We're close to home, we're close to work. Well, we'll only be close to one of those for a short period of time ... that's where our latest news comes in.

Last week Thursday, Geoff was at work when he was called into a meeting in which he was told that the company will be relocating in June/July of 2010... February of 2011 at the absolute latest. The company is currently in Grand Rapids, and they're relocating to the south side of Holland. Wow. Thanks a lot, we just moved to Grandville less than 5 months ago.

In reality, this is actually a great thing, but the timing couldn't be worse. Our lease isn't up until October which means we'll need to break the lease. Not only do I not feel good about doing that to a company that's been great to us, but it's going to cost some major monies do to it. And there's a good chance we'll be needing to get out of the lease before October comes. It's just really stressful because with Carter on the way, I don't want to move after he's born. Life is going to be complicated enough with a newborn. We don't need to throw a move in there too. Also, I don't want to have a nursery all set up and settled just to take it down. (That's just the mom in me though, I suppose.) The good news is that it just so happens that our old landlords from Zeeland would be happy to have us back, which is just a blessing! We can afford the apartment and it has decent sized bedrooms (2), great landlords, and is less than 3 minutes from Geoff's parents house, and about 10 minutes from my rents place. This way we'll have sitters that are close by, Geoff will be near work, and I'll be the only one who has a commute. I can handle that, I like to drive.

Once again, it's just a situation that is completely "out of our control." That seems to be happening to us a lot lately. We're also in need of a car fixin. We're awaiting my last W2 to come so we can file our taxes, so we CAN pay for the car fixin. Oy. I hate when your world starts to revolve around money. That's the last thing I want it to revolve around. Such is life I suppose.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your continuous support, love and prayers!

5 comments:

MeganRebekah said...

I just posted this week about how I've move nine times in the past 10 years, and I'm moving again this weekend. Moving stinks. I love the possibility of starting fresh, in a new home full of hope, but I hate the actual moving part. The packing and scrubbing and staying up past midnight each night.

Good luck with your future move!

Geoff said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Megan, and thanks for stopping by our blog!

Geoff

Scottie Dawg said...

Yeah, I've moved 6 times in the 4 years since graduation, it can get really tiring! Good luck guys!

Miranda said...

If its any help I used to move all the time... and staying in one space for two years feels very odd now... So I will be moving in Decemember who knows spoil me with the baby enough and maybe I'll moe to the osthemo side of K zoo ! love you!!!

Geoff said...

Ha, Miranda, did you leave this comment from your phone??? I don't know what the "osthemo" side of K zoo is...

Love you, too!!!