The ramblings and musings of author and musician Geoffrey Young Haney.
Much more coherent and loveable fare from his wife, Michelle.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Carter Is Home!

And has been for a while now! I haven't gotten around to posting anything since the moment he came into this world, May 11th 2010 at 4:11pm, weighing in at 7 lbs. 9 oz. and 20.5 inches tall. His mother did SO wonderful with the delivery. I was severely impressed and proud to stand beside her. And her cousin Emily who assisted us the entire time we were in the hospital that Tuesday was such a rockstar! Love you girls.

Anyhow, on to the update:

the future is now, Doc Brown style...
Our little baby boy was a bit jaundice so we had to stay in the hospital longer than planned, from Tuesday morning to Saturday morning. On Thursday afternoon we were moved to the third floor and put in a pretty small room with nowhere for me to sleep and this neon contraption to your left supplying little Carter with some much needed photo-therapy. It sucked pretty bad actually to have to share a tiny hospital bed, eat hospital food (even though it was usually pretty decent,) and most of all to not be able to hold our new baby. He had to stay under those lights 24-7 unless, obviously, he was feeding. Still... I think he looks pretty bad-ass. Those shades are way cooler than anything Kanye would put on his face.... I guess that's not really saying much...

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good...
Moving on... Saturday morning, May 15th, Carter's bilirubin levels where finally in the safe range and we were allowed to take him home. Since then it's been a wonderful experience. Maybe we haven't hit the rough newborn patches yet or maybe we're just lucky, but Carter is SO good! He eats great, sleeps well, hardly ever gets fussy, is strong and very alert, loves to be held by all his family and friends, and it pretty much the greatest kid that ever graced the planet. Plus, unlike his father, he is super photogenic. That's not bias, that's fact. It's Science. I read it on Wikipedia. Carter Edison Young Haney... best kid ever. He already has a million nicknames, including Blue Steel (because of a face he always pulls (re: Zoolander,)) Carter Sauce, C Money, White Whoopi (because he hasn't grown any eyebrows yet,) and "My Squishy," which was bestowed upon him by his Aunt Ally.

Michelle is tired but adjusting well and is seriously growing into a great mom. I knew she would. She's pretty much great at everything else.


Other than Carter, life goes on pretty much without a hitch. There's still work to be done, both at my paying job and my unpaid job (writing) and I've been getting back into the swing of things with both. I went back to UniSource last week Thursday after enjoying Mon-Wed home with my family. It was great to have a mini-vacation of sorts. All in all, Carter is a very motivating force in my desire to accomplish my dreams, work harder, love the Lord stronger, and basically be an all around better human, and he really makes being a dad a lot of fun!

On the writing front, tomorrow I am sending out my scholarship consideration packet to the Midwest Writers Workshop. Every year they offer a few scholarships to writers who want to attend but don't have the financial means. I had to write a letter stating my writing goals and experience and my financial needs (that was daunting) and a five page writing sample. (I sent the first five pages of The Sons of The Moon, naturally, which, by the way, you can read here if you'd like. You can read the first 4 chapters in fact. Go on, do it.) Its kind of an odd feeling basically begging for money, and having not sent scholarship applications to colleges in my day, it was a new experience. Hopefully it would pan out. I would absolutely love to go, God willing.

So that about does it on the ketchup - er, catch-up. (Ketchup? How the H am I still hungry?) I will most likely be posting a couple of more "writerly" entries this weekend because I'm trying to hash out some topics that have been on my mind. I hope to use such topics to enter a contest to win a guest blogger slot on the excellent Pimp My Novel. I guess after my foray into guest blogging, I've got the bug! So look for that... or ignore it completely until there's more Carter talk! Come on, admit it... that's why most of you are here. He's way more interesting than I am!

Take care and God bless.

G

P.S. If you enjoy indie pop-punk and have a minute, check out Junior Battles. I've had the song Major Label Bidding War off their new 7" stuck in my dang head all day! It's good tunage... and if you didn't know this about me, I have really good taste in music. :P

P.P.S. I also apparently have a crush on ellipses...

No comments: