The ramblings and musings of author and musician Geoffrey Young Haney.
Much more coherent and loveable fare from his wife, Michelle.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

3 Weeks Old ALREADY!

It's been a while since I've posted a new blog. But, I have found energy (and time) to give my shpeel on our little miracle.

I can hardly believe that 3 weeks ago (to the day) I was in the hospital giving birth to our son. Wow. I would like to take a moment to reflect on that crazy/awesome event. My water broke at 11:30 p.m. on Monday night. By 5:00 a.m. Tuesday morning we were leaving for Holland Hospital. I made it to 7 cm with the help of IV drugs and finally thru lots of tears asked for the epidural. I really, REALLY didn't want to get it and by the time the anesthesiologist made it down to administer the epidural, I was at 8 cm. I only had about 1/2 hour left at that point. I labored for a total of 15 hours, including 50 minutes of pushing and being awake for over 39 hours, Carter entered the world. It was very difficult, but he was completely worth it. :D

I never would've made it through that experience without my loving husband and my amazing cousin, Emily. Emily is an RN who knows her stuff, but more importantly, she knows me. Both her and Geoff made an amazing tag team and were there for me every step of the way. From getting me water, to walking me to the bathroom, to holding on to me while I was contracting ... they were unstoppable and a Godsend.

What I didn't expect was having to stay in the hospital for 4 nights and 5 days. That was more difficult than the pain I went through during labor. Watching your son lay under lights 24/7 not being able to hold him, accept when feeding ... it's something I never want to go through again. I can't imagine what Geoff felt ... he barely held him at all. I cannot even begin to explain how happy I was Saturday morning when we were finally able to go home!

Home.

Being at home with my child has been the most rewarding experience of my life. Our friends and family have been so helpful, loving and supportive. It feels amazing to know that so many people love us and Carter so much! Carter has so many "aunts" and "uncles" it's crazy! I must say that the best part about being home is the support that my husband gives me. Geoff is truly the most amazing man on the planet. He is incredibly thoughtful, compassionate, loving and PATIENT. He's so good with Carter and really is "a natural." He was meant to be a Daddy. A prime example of how good he's been to me would be a situation that arose over the past 24 hours. Last night I developed a fever that gradually got higher and higher and peaked at 102.5 and thankfully broke within 6-8 hours. I figured out that I developed a breast infection called Mastitis. I called my Doctor this morning who prescribed me an anti-biotic. I still wasn't feeling 100%, not even well enough to go less than a mile down the road to get my medicine. So, Geoff left work during his lunch break to get my prescription and brought it to me. Just so I wouldn't have to even worry about it, and so I could rest. That is an amazing husband.

Time goes by so quickly. It breaks my heart to think of returning to work in just 3 short weeks. Damn the man, why can't we get a year's paid maternity leave like they do in Europe? Boo.

All in all, life is good. I have never felt more complete than I do at this moment. God is good.

1 comment:

JB said...

Oooo, mastitis! No wonder you felt horrible. Hope you're better now! It is so cool to see you and Geoff as parents. Carter is certainly a lucky little man.